Monday, May 7, 2007

Mahalang

Sometimes I really miss having my close friends around me. Every now and then I get "mahalang" (homesick or nostalgic, for my one Rhode Island friend who reads this) for Guam and for my friends over there. I have made a few fun friends here, but it's not quite the same as hanging out with people that you grew up with. There is no automatic assumption that you will go out for coffee together over the weekend, or to the usual bar on Friday. There are no regular phone calls, late night talks about relationships, three-hour-long discussions about life's uncertainties, and certainly no crying on shoulders. I don't know my friends' family members, let alone feel like they are extensions of my own family.

Every time I see an In Style magazine I think of Erika. Every time the topic of swimming comes up, I think of Claudia. Every time I see a group of girls going out together, I think of my fun circle of friends. Every time I hear John Mayer or Stevie Wonder, I think of Sirenu. Every time I hear reggae music, I think of DUB. Every time I hear this song, it reminds me of my year in Europe and how much I missed home (and on a side note, it also makes me want to marry Michael Buble).

So Erika and Claudia - my two best girls - and I have been sending these silly emails back and forth and we searched our archives for some fun pictures. I thought these two defined our relationships well :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish you were here Dev! Fun follows but man I know how much more fun it would be with you here. Will just have to visit you I guess...

Love from paradise.

-Suzi