Thursday, September 27, 2007

Umm, hello?

Excuse me, but am I the only person that noticed the GLARING absence of what should be the most important topic on the policy table today??? Where were the questions about global warming in the debate last night??

They're Democrats. They can't win without pledging an end to the war. They have already said a thousand times that they are planning to draw down the troops in Iraq and put and end to this war as soon as possible. Making them promise to do it by a certain day when Bush still has over a year left in office is just ridiculous. Let's get past that idiotic line of questioning, shall we?

Okay, universal health care is important. Let's keep that on the table. So is same sex marriage. But neither of those are really going to matter much in a decade or so when global warming has gotten a lot worse than it is today. It's not going to get better. Our only hope is that we can maintain the level of damage we are already doing in lieu of increasing that level with each month and year that goes by. We need policy NOW. Not later. It's already later.

2 comments:

trinh! said...

it is unfortunate that it's such sticky topic. everyone knows it's important. but we're so deep in our own mess that even the dems can't talk about it. anyone that brings it up is just gonna look bad. i'm actually looking forward to the candidate debates on myspace that is aimed toward a younger audience. john edwards will be there in about 30 minutes taking questions...and i wonder what people will ask? i will be there though trying to figure out what their plans are for this issue.
oh and are you aware of moveon.org? a place where you can send e-mails and/or letters to your legislators about issues you care about. and since it is their job to represent you. they actually have to read them. the site was created by ben or jerry, i forget which one and it's really easy to use.

Dev said...

You know, I'm aware of moveon.org, mostly because it's been in the news lately. I only visited the site once, several months ago. I think I need to start paying more attention to it.

As for the idea that bringing up global warming will make a candidate look bad, I disagree. I think the candidates need to acknowledge its importance and state unequivocally that it will be a priority of their presidency. Or else they don't have my vote!