Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bush v. Dems

I walked in the house just in time to catch the last five minutes or so of Bush's speech on the war, and the subsequent Democratic response (given by our own RI Senator Jack Reed I might add).

Sheesh, talk about intense. How the heck does anyone know what side to be on and what the real repercussions are either way?? Although we might agree that the original reasons for going into Iraq were not good, blatant lies even, but that's not the point anymore. We have to agree that we're in it neck-deep now. To pull everyone out at this point would no doubt bring consequences that we can only pretend to be able to predict.

So is the answer to stay there in great numbers for many years to come? I really hate that idea. But what's the alternative that the Dems propose? It's kinda vague if you ask me. If there's a way to get international support and have a very minimal presence over there while still pursuing the same broad objective, then by all means, let's do it! (And then afterwards we can try to explain to the entire world why we're willing to bring democracy and 'save' the Iraqis, but not the North Koreans, Sudanese, etc..)

Am I siding with the Republicans? No. And not just because I'm afraid of the wrath of my democratic boyfriend if I do... but because I think we need to right the incredible wrong that has been done to our own country and our own soldiers. How? I have no idea.

The whole subject is exhausting enough as a bystander, I can only imagine what it's like to be any of those key players in this war right now. But we did it, we're there, and it needs to be fixed. The sooner the better.

3 comments:

Jess said...

you and Kate would have a great conversation about this topic. she's very passionate about this war and views on 'W', as in Bush.

trinh! said...

I actually got into a big discussion with my aunt after reading her your post. And we pretty much ended up at the same place where you are. What are we supposed to do at this point? There is a great deal of responsibility over there and it does require us to stay there for longer. But how many more deaths does that mean?
It's completely not fair that people are continuing to lose their lives over lies. Right? I think Bush should send his own family there and fight the war for him. He is the liar. So he should take responsibility for the repercussions. Not the American people and their families. So how do we get the twins to be sent over?

Cloud said...

I couldn't even begin to shed light on this mess. I have however been reading more and more on the Middles East and just finished a book called "Iran Awakening" which is helping me see the other side. Check it out. You'll love it.