Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spiritual Lesson - One of Many

"Worry pretends to be necessary, but doesn't really serve any useful purpose." Eckhart Tolle

This is something I have always understood on some level, but have forgotten at times. I remember even as a young person trying to tell people that worrying doesn't do any good for them, that they need to let go of the attachment and deal with whatever is going to happen when it happens.

I have found that as I have gotten older I have experienced many of the things which create worry in us and seem to extinguish that happy-go-lucky vibe that is present in abundance as a child, and make us feel and appear much older than we are. Those experiences have caused me to lose that wonderful part of myself, at least to some extent.

However, in this recognition, I am finding and appreciating that part of myself and am in constant practice of it now. It feels good.

4 comments:

trinh! said...

Oh how true. I find myself rarely worrying about...things. I think about people. I hope for the best. And beyond that, I don't do much of anything else. Worrying just turns hair gray.
And I do think it is super sad that people let worrying take over their lives. How do you tell them to get over it without saying it like that?

I have found the less that I worry and the more positive I think, better things keep coming along. Everyday, something good happens. I meet someone that makes me smile. An event occurs that makes me laugh. I feel like worrying brings a negative vibe into your life and it pushes itself out in some other aspect in your life. The less you worry, the less negative energy you are putting out. Am I really a super hippie? I guess so...but these people are so right!

Dev said...

I don't think that's so "hippie" (not that hippie is a bad word), it's just good sense. Worry is negativity, you're right. And it doesn't do any good. The outcome will be the same whether you keep your focus on positive things and acceptance or if you worry.

Now, I'm not trying to say that I am free of worry all the time, there are certainly some situations that would cause me to worry. But the idea is to be aware of it, and to 'choose your battles', so to speak. If I can get to a place where I can accept whatever comes my way without any sort of negative reaction, that would be amazing. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm working on it!

trinh! said...

So the other day I was cleaning my room. Making space for my things that I had stored in the garage. While doing this, I noticed that a bunch of boxes I had stored in the garage were suddenly...gone. I knew right away Curt threw them out when he was organizing the place.
This arose anger in me, immediately. So angry I screamed, slammed a door a bunch of times to get the frustration out. I was home alone, so I had the freedom to release the anger however I pleased.
I was upset because those boxes belonged to items that have warranties, but warranties only work if you keep the packaging, etc.
So for all my electronics, if anything happens to them, I'm screwed. The thing that upset me the most was he threw out the box for my laptop. Which had a bunch of important and very expensive items. The box was not empty.
But a moment later, Coyote called me. And I told him I was glad he called because I would have continued to sulk in the anger. Luckily for me, he really brings out my silliness and laughter. I just started talking about unrelated things and forgot about the anger.
Later on, after calming myself and thinking about the best way to approach Curt about replacing my things he threw out, I decided it wasn't even fair for me to assume it was him in the first place. It could have been Derek just as well. So I left both of them voicemails asking if they knew the whereabouts of those boxes. Not accusing them of anything. But it turned out Curt did throw them out.
This put me in an awful situation. I bought a protection plan for my laptop that cost $350.The packaging says, no matter what you do, don't throw that stuff away. He threw it away.
So do I ask him to buy it for me again? I know he doesn't have that money. But then if my laptop breaks, I can't afford $3000 to get another one. Which is why I got the protection plan in the first place. I don't like being placed in situations where I have to ask someone for something I know they can't give me. But it wasn't his stuff to throw out too, right?
I thought about the best way to fix the situation where we both wouldn't be screwed. Boggled me. I didn't want to worry about this stuff!
So I stopped thinking about it. I put off confronting him and thought about good things.
This all happened yesterday.
Today, I am finishing up cleaning my room and the garage...guess what I find!!!!
All the super important expensive things that I thought he threw out! Yay!!! They were separate from all my other things and I have no idea how that happened, but I'm sure glad it did.
Now thinking back, I'm so glad I handled the situation the way I did. In the past, the anger from the initial realization would have carried over to Coyote and the rest of my day until the whole thing was resolved. I would have held on to that emotion.
Now, I let myself feel things, but in moments. I let them flow with whatever my situation may be, rather than force my emotions into situations. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Sondra said...

Hi Devin,

I had a great time meeting up and talking about the book! I'm glad you enjoyed it, I can't wait to finish it up.

Sondra